Friday, November 10, 2006

Christmastime is Here Again?!


So, I'm making my list of what I'm going to make my family for Christmas. So far I am in the middle of a cardigan for my grandmother. It's the Sienna Cardigan from Interweave Knits' Fall 2006 Issue. (As a side note: the other day I got the Winter issue of Interweave Knits and can I just say how happy I am to see them going back to the way they used to be. I was getting frightened by all of the fair isle they were showing!)

But I like this pattern; it seems like it will suit my grandma. Although, I am a little scared of the sizing. I'm making the medium size, but I'm using sport/fingering wieght alpaca yarn. Now, even though my swatch tells me that I'm working at the correct guage, I can't help but think that it's a bit on the small side. Hopefully, the magic of blocking will get it looking right.




For my dad I'm making the flip-top mittens that Debbie Stoller designed for Interweave Knits' subscriber-only website. Here's the picture, though:


I'm going to make them for him because he's a smoker (even though he should stop) and I want him to be able to keep his hands warm while smoking this winter. I think I'm going to exclude the snowflake, though. my dad isn't a snowflake kind of guy. I'm going to make a matching hat, too, because he lost the one that I made for him last year.

I'm also thinking about giving him the red and black sweater I designed in the early summer. Although I think it will end up being passed around the family men because I didn't use standard male measurements. So, we'll see who it looks best on.


For my aunt I am STILL trying to finsh the green, Amelie- like pullover from Vintage Knits. Everything is knitted now, I just have to attach everything. Boy do I hate finishing.

For my godson I am going to make a skull and bones sweater -- either from an old issue of Knit.1 or Stitch-n-Bitch. I'm not sure yet. I'm going to buy the yarn this weekend, hopefully at Smiley's. For those knitters that don't live in New York or have visited for the yarn stores: I say hopefully because Smiley's -- while being a WONDERFUL discount yarn store -- does not have regular stock. So it'll be a shot in the dark as to what I can find, yarn wise. I'd really love to use Lion Brand wool chucky, but P&S (my other discount yarn source) doesn't carry a large quantity of that style, so it's also a shot in the dark as to what colors and quantities they'll have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home